Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Good Habits


    
William James was right when he observed that we are "walking bundles of habits." What we have gotten used to is difficult to get undone. Everything we do builds up into our storehouse of habits from birth until now.  

    How can we do away with poor habits? First, we have to know the reason why we are making the change. For me, this happened when I needed to change my eating habits. What was my reason? I will get diabetes if I do not cut down on the carbs like cakes, white bread, and doughnuts, as well as ice cream, milk teas and soda.  When I got my lab results, I was deeply bothered as I imagine the consequence if I do not make any change. I will die the way my father died.  I was convicted to make a turnaround and consciously replace junk food with unprocessed food, and gradually, the shift in my health took place. It was excruciating at first but after a few days, the good habit will became the new norm. 

     To make a new habit a part of your life, look for someone you can do this with. An accountability partner can join you in this journey. Knowing that there is someone who has succeeded in replacing the bad habit with a good one helps you during weak moments. This can be a person or a community who you can confide in about setbacks or bumps you encounter along the way. They can also provide valuable feedback. 

    After the good habit becomes second nature to you, you can celebrate your success. You exerted a    lot of effort and the results show that it's worth it!


No comments: